Pages

August 10, 2010

The Theory of Swing Sets

When I was little I used to L-O-V-E playing on swings. The wind in your hair as you watch your little place in the world sail by. It is basically bliss and freedom.

As I got older I stopped playing on swings as much - I thought I needed to assert my 'adulthood' (at the very gown up age of 13). This was my way of putting away childish things. But I missed it - I felt the loss of the playground.

I recently played on a swing and realized exactly how wonderful it is. My swing on the swing set cleared my mind, decreased my stress and by the end I had the biggest smile on my face. It changed my perspective on certain things and allowed me to take some me time - when I wasn't concerned about what was next on my schedule, the uni work I have yet to complete, the slight financial pressure I feel at times or the constant distraction of various electronic devices.

Now to my theory of swing sets: I have decided that world would be a much better place if we all took the time to just play. To enjoy life, take a moment in time and just play. For my mental health I think a swing on a swing set will become a necessary part of my life. Playing on swings will carve me out a bit space and freedom for myself away from all the distractions that can tend to take over my life.

So from now on I pledge to play on swing sets...

Are you a fan of swing sets?



Image found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment