Pages

August 16, 2010

But What?

A person - whose opinion I respect more than basically anyone - recently suggested it's time for me to take the next step.

I whole-heatedly agree...

But now I am left with that awful question:

What exactly is the next step?

In general society terms everyone lives according to milestones - baby is born, baby is crawling/talking/walking, child begins school, child finishes school, young adult decides what to be in life, adult meets someone, marriage maybe, pregnancy, baby is born.

I have no problem with this cycle - this is what keeps life going. To be clear I'm just talking in general terms. I realize that life is far more complex.

But there can be a problem when you fall outside the 'normal' sphere. When you want something different from life and just can't seem to fit. I am completely happy to be unique - it's an integral part of my identity.

This, however, can create a problem. I'm finding it hard to figure out the next step. What I do know is - at this point in my life - it doesn't really fit into the above cycle.

Does taking the next step mean pursuing the idea of trying to get my written work published? Does it mean focusing on my photography and possibly setting up my own business? Does it mean looking for a full-time job? I feel adrift in a sea of indecision. I'm excited to take the next step but I am at a loss to know what that step is.

What would the next step be?

I believe that life has to move forward - becoming stagnant is a dangerous thing. But sometimes it is necessary to carve out some time from the busyness of life to figure out where you need to go and what you need to do.

So I'm carving out some time to try and figure out what the next step would be and grasp what I need to do. But in amongst all this turmoil I know that it will all work out in the end... There will be bumps and stumbles and a heap of mistakes and many, many hurts but it will be okay.

Life may not take me where I expect it to but I am determined to enjoy the ride.


Image found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment