Pages

August 11, 2009

Blog This What’s sitting on my bedside table


Source: http://nohbdyshome.deviantart.com/art/books-and-chair-10396679

I read such a great many books – it’s hard to decide which books to post on. Now I don’t actually have a bedside table instead I have I had HUGE bookcase right next to my bed.

I read EVERYTHING!! Even if it’s a truly BAD novel I still get right into it.


But now to chat about some of the books I am currently reading:

1) DRACULA by Bram Stoker

Now, I have read Dracula before but I have to read it again for my university course. I am now reading it looking at it through different literary theories. Dracula is one of the first true horror books which is fill of imagery and is truly scary. They don’t write them like this anymore. Reading it from this different angle has really opened my eyes up to the unsaid aspects of the novel. I am finding it so hard to not just get swept up in this novel (as I usually do) but to try and sit down and analyse it.

2) THE NORTON ANTHOLOGY OF POERTY by ed Ferguson, Salter and Stallworthy

This is just a wonderful collection on poetry from all such a wide range of dates. In it you can find poetry to fit your every mood and feeling. Just a lovely collection of all different kinds of poetry to meet all kinds of moods.








3) DREAMS FROM MY FATHER by Barack Obama

I confess I read this book a little while ago and yet I am still blown away by it and think of it often. This book is of course the now president’s memoirs ranging from his birth until his discission to go to law school – (I’m working on THE AUDACUTY OF HOPE at the moment; which covers from law school onwards)

This book is such a completely honest look at his struggle of him trying to find his way in the world and dealing with issues of race, integrity and identity. What I appreciate most about this book is that it is an unflinching look at his formative life. He doesn’t shy away from awkward aspects of life or tries to gloss over the different areas. This book is a simply must read!

4)

THE EYRE AFFAIR by Jasper Fforde

Anyone who is into reading should read these books!! They are so full of little salutes to books that have gone before and so, so, SO funny!! It’s extremely satirical and just beautiful. Wonderful imagery with characters you can really connect with.

It’s just a wonderful idea with a main character who’s a literary detective who has to deal with time worm hole, a father t

hat disappears and reappears into existence and best of all a main character that can jump in and out of books… But enough on my take on the book… Let me read you to back cover:

“Meet Thursday Next, literary detective without equal, fear or boyfriend.

There is another 1985, where London’s criminal gangs have moved into the lucrative literary market, and Thursday Next is on the trail of the new crime wave’s Mr Big

Acheron Hades has been kidnapping characters from the works of fiction and holding them to ransom. Jane Eyre is gone. Missing. Kidnapped.

Thursday sets out to find a way into the book to repair the damage. But solving crimes against literature isn’t easy when you also have to find time to halt the Crimean War, persuade the man you love to marry you, and figure out who really wrote Shakespeare’s plays.

Perhaps today just isn’t going to be Thursday’s day. Join her on a truly breathtaking adventure, and find out for yourself. Fiction will never be the same again…”

Do yourself a favour and read the series so worth it!


As to where I can my hands on my beloved books… I get them anywhere regularly visiting the 3 libraries closes to my house; buying them from all the major book stores plus visiting a fair few second-hand bookstores (there’s one right near my house) and if in doubt there’s always Amazon!!


I tend to just read anything, however, if I am able to find an author that I like I tend to buy every possible book written by them. I read fiction (all types of fiction fantasy, horror, romance, si-fi) and non-fiction (biographies, recipe books,). There are occasionally books that I positively hang out for – one’s that I have on order and am pacing in front of the store waiting for the doors to open.

But if in doubt there’s always the back up of the lovely classics!!!

So there are a couple of the books on my bedside table!

1 comment:

  1. Very interesting! That Jasper Frorde book sounds great!

    ReplyDelete