Pages

September 1, 2010

Quote of the Week

So this week's quote of the week comes from one of my all-time favorite authors. Seriously I'm completely obsessed with him. Unfortunately the majority of his quotes bordered on the depressing side of life and I try to not be about that. Having said that this isn't exactly the happiest of quotes but it's a fascinating look at his approach to writing.

Without further ado I give you Chuck Palahniuk's search for the story:

'I wanted to write about the moment when your addictions no longer hide the truth from you. When your whole life breaks down. That's the moment when you have to somehow choose what your life is going to be about.' ~ Chuck Palahniuk

Isn't that quote just fantastic? I simply adore Chuck. He is raw and true and writes interesting, largely unique and fascinating stories. If I manage to be a quarter as good a writer as he is (without the gratuitous sex and gratuitous violence) I would be a very happy lady. I'd love to interview him or even just meet him sometime. I wounder if he'd be as fascinating in real life.

There is beautiful truth in this quote? I like the idea of stripping yourself down to who you really are. Subtracting all the stuff, all the expectations all the things that distract you from what's really important. I think that that is when you choose what your life is really going to be about and what you're going to do with it from there.

Are you a Palahniuk fan? Is there are particular quote rolling around in your head this week? I'd love to hear it.

No comments:

Post a Comment