Pages

September 7, 2010

Lustful Lens

There is yet another lens that I have fallen in love with and consequently must have... Now worry not dear readers (especially if mother is reading this!) I am not about to rush out and purchase this lens this instant... I'm talking a medium term goal. Maybe to purchase mid way through next year - especially if I get some monetary gifts come Christmas (please note: that wasn't me asking for a hand out... Just laying out the plan.)

Anyhow this lens will complete my kit. I now own a prime lens, a short zoom, a medium range zoom (henceforth to be called 'TRAVEL LENS'), and a long range zoom. So in order to round out my set up nicely my next logical step it is buy a macro lens. Because I love taking close up pictures of insects and bugs and such.

Introducing my latest lens love -- the stunningly beautiful, super sharp Sigma 150mm HSM!
This is the first lens that I'm considering buying this isn't Nikkor. Scary stuff! But all the reviews I'm reading is saying this lens is better than the closest Nikkor lens (the 105mm VR-- 45mm less).

Plus it has one of the lowest 'f' numbers around. I am learning, through my intensive research on the net, that fast glass is better. And f2.8 is pretty darn fast. Meaning in low light conditions this lens will be able to still have a pretty fast shutter speed. The 150mm will also come in handy because it lets you get close (1:1 ratio) while not scaring your subject away.

Look at some of the lovely shots captured with this lens (links below pictures):

Image found here.

Image found here.

Image found here.

Look at that detail!! I would love to try and capture some images like these to add to my portfolio.

Super sharp, excellent performance, beautiful bokeh and awesome depth of field = everything you could possibly want in a macro lens. It has an internal motor so it will work with my precious Nikon d5000. And as an added bonus it cost half as much as the Nikkor 105mm.

Best start saving... After my holiday to Europe and after a quick trip to Melbourne... And after... And after... Maybe it's best to push back the buy date til the end of next year! Oh well, the goal is to get my hands on it as soon as possible.

- Wow! I'm quite proud of the above post. It almost sounded like I knew a few things about photography. Who would have thought!

So does anyone out there on the big World Wide Web own this lens? If so what do you think of it? Love it, hate it, can't bare to be separated from it? Do you own a different macro lens? If so what brand (specifics included) is it and what do you think of it?

I hope wherever this post finds you, whatever you may be doing, that you are having a wonderful day!

No comments:

Post a Comment