Pages

October 4, 2010

Day Four

Day four saw us bid a fond farewell to the lovely Edinburgh driving north to Inverness (well Culbokie actually... but more on that later)

One thing I am stuck by time and again is the absolute picturesque nature of everything! The scenery is completely breath-taking and as an avid photographer I feel like I'm begging mum to stop every 5 min so I can try and capture the majesty of any given area. Unfortunately my pictures barely do it justice.


On the road up I marveled at the low level cloud which seemed within arms reach at times.



I was captivated by the old stone buildings which have been there for hundreds of years. Everything is just so GREEN and there seems to be water everywhere - the complete opposite to Australia.

We stopped along the way and I went for a walk for a while in what I would describe as a national parks. I found it to be so relaxing to just meander along, taking photos where I may - simply enjoy the freshness - and there is no other word for it - of all around me.



There is something marvelous and majestic about Scotland. It's in the air, it's in the rain - there is a deep sense of history and of place unlike anywhere else I have ever been to. It has captured my imagination and soothed my world weary heart.

We made our way up past Inverness to the town of Culbokie to our rest stop for the night - a charming Bed and Breakfast called Still Waters.


I simply MUST return for it is a place of peace. Mum knows the owners for years gone by and it was lovely for me to meet them. They are simply fantastic people with warm, hospitable natures. They are lovely and welcoming and you can just tell that they want the best for you. It was the first place we've been to that I felt truly comfortable, free to sit in front of the fire and flick through a magazine or have a chat. Found in a secluded spot, surrounded by lush, green grass and trees it is a place of rest. I'm not just talking about physical rest - I'm talking rest for a weary soul.

So if you are ever in the area and are looking for a getaway from it all I can strongly recommend Still Waters.

Next we travel to Stirling via what felt like the most indirect route possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment