Pages

January 10, 2010

Poetry of the day...

I've been on a bit of a poetry kick of late - more reading it than writing some of my own... Anyway, I thought I'd share my favorite one I've come across today... It's called "In Paris with You" by James FentonImage found: http://greenray.deviantart.com/art/Paris-Glamour-101477393

In Paris with You
~ by James Fenton

Don't talk to me of love. I've had an earful
And I get tearful when I've downed a drink or two.
I'm one of your talking wounded.
I'm a hostage. I'm maroonded.
But I'm in Paris with you.

Yes I'm angry at the way I've been bamboozled
And resentful at the mess that I've been through.
I admit I'm on the rebound
And I don't care where are we bound.
I'm in Paris with you.

Do you mind if we do not go to the Louvre,
If we say sod off to sodding Notre Dame,
If we skip the Champs Elysees
And remain here in this sleazy

Old hotel room
Doing this and that
To what and whom
Learning who you are,
Learning what I am.

Don't talk to me of love. Let's talk of Paris,
The little bit of Paris in our view.
There's that crack across the ceiling
And the hotel walls are peeling
And I'm in Paris with you.

Don't talk to me of love. Let's talk of Paris.
I'm in Paris with the slightest thing you do.
I'm in Paris with your eyes, your mouth,
I'm in Paris with... all points south.
Am I embarrassing you?
I'm in Paris with you



I just love how this poem sweeps you away with it's feeling... And of course it doesn't hurt that it talks of Paris - where I'm going to be in 10 short months!!! This poem has such bitter-sweet happy/sad, up/down with the supposed most romantic city in the world being in a place for almost false romance with questions of the validity and realism of love.

Anyway, I just wanted to share it with the world. More poetry next time -- and I'll try to make it some of mine!

1 comment: