Pages

July 2, 2010

On My Own Path

Robert Frost's poem has been rolling around my mind for a while now. Give the poem a read

The Road Not Taken by Robert Frost
Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;
Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,
And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I-
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.


~
At some point in my life I took the road less traveled. Now, I'm not talking about decisions of Faith which in and of itself is taking the road less traveled.

But today I'm talking about something different. I have come to the conclusion that I am exceedingly odd even more than that however is the fact that I LIKE being unusual. I revel in being different.

I have chosen to take the road less traveled of individuality rather than conformity.

This fact and my natural personality make it hard for me to fit in to group dynamics. I sometimes wonder if my celebration of my difference puts people off. I so badly want to be accepted into groups and have deep and lasting friendships. But I want that without sacrificing my individuality. I begin to wonder if that is even possible.

I do not wish to waste my time on this Earth trying to be what others expect me to be. I wish to live by my own expectations and follow my own dreams. I want to meet people who enjoy individuality rather than uniformity. People who push the boundaries, think outside the box and can hold their own in a debate on a myriad of topics.

I decided to take the road less traveled. I am therefore forced to ask: has it made all the difference or has it just made life more complicated?

No comments:

Post a Comment