Pages

October 20, 2012

Words And Pictures

Words And Pictures

I miss words… 


There was a time not too long ago when I used to write every day. I devoured books like they were about to disappear. I wrote pages and pages of poetry and short stories… A novel or two are lurking on one of my many hard drives somewhere. An Ernest Hemmingway, Charlotte Bronte or Edgar Allen Poe I most certainly am not. But I loved it (still do) and worked hard to foster a certain level of eloquent expression.

As I got more and more into photography it all shifted slightly. Instead of a regular reading of Pride and Prejudice I started reading manuals, technical analysis, pages and pages of spec sheets and blog after blog after blog (after blog!) of everything photography related. Don’t misunderstand. I do not regret this at all. Not one bit. Not in the slightest. It allowed me to grow and develop in my chosen career (and what I believe is my calling). I truly believe giving myself this time to totally immerse myself in all things photography has been completely invaluable.

Long time readers of this little ol’ blog would have no doubt noticed the shift. Way back when I started blogging I wrote phenomenally long (entirely too long now that I read them back) posts with maybe one or two pictures that I felt emphasised my point. I shared poetry (admittedly the majority of it was cringe worthy) that seemed to pour out onto the electronic page. Fast-forward four years (I can’t believe I’ve had this little space of the internet for four years!) to my post about my recent adventure in New Zealand where my written highlights section was lack-lustre at best.

So it’s apparent that it’s high time to find a bit of balance. Words and pictures. Pictures and words. The two can co-exist and complement each other quite nicely. I have found and am developing my visual voice and it’s time to circle back and (re)discover and deepen my writing style. Prose and photography coming together to help me tell whatever tale I wish. I shan’t be sacrificing one for the other. But rather fostering the growth of both my passions simultaneously. I hope that this blog will contain prose and photography intertwining seamlessly together to tell my stories.

Why am I sharing this on such a public forum? I honestly don't know. Maybe to keep myself accountable? Maybe to let you my lovely readers know that the structure and content of my posts may (hopefully) change a little? Maybe just as a little reminder to myself that my 'writer' side is important as well as my 'photographer' side. In any event that's what I've been thinking about lately.

Life is all about balance and sometimes you just need to recalibrate things a bit (or at least that's what I find). I'm excited to start (really) writing again and figuring out how to work it in with my photography. Luckily there are a plethora of photography blogs out there who write exceptionally well as well as taking phenomenal photos.
So that's what's been on my mind. 

I have a some exciting news to share but I think that will wait for another post. In the meantime I hope you're having a wonderful week!

Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. To quote you.. eloquent expression..the words say it all. Some have a way of expressing themselves and some don't...you do.

    ReplyDelete