Pages

December 11, 2009

My latest artwork...

Hey there!!

I thought I'd share the work of art that's bringing my the most joy at the moment - my latest tattoo! Introducing my latest literary tattoo...

I obviously added the purple boarder... Just to make it a little more interesting!

My latest tattoo is located on my left shoulder blade and I love it!! The only thing I don't like it that it's located on my back (duh!) so I can't see how pretty it is. I'd love to look at it all the time. On reflection, it's probably best that it's on my back or else I'd end up detracted all the time.

For those of you who don't know the word this is the dictionary definition:

bib⋅li⋅o⋅phile

–noun a person who loves or collects books

That EXACTLY describes what I am. I adore books!! I could quite happily read all day every day.

I also wanted the picture of the book flipping open to help explain what bibliophile means. You wouldn't believe the amount of people that have misunderstood the meaning of the tattoo or people wondering if I'd made up the word!

But I love my latest tattoo! I love books, I love reading and I love writing. I feel that this tattoo is a fantastic outward expression of one of my key passions in life. I love that my body is permanently marked as what I am.

I've become addicted to tattoos... I think it's wonderful that you can express what is most important to you on the most important canvas you own - your body. Now I'm not going to get covered in tattoos but I do agree with a quote I read somewhere that "tattoos are like life's mile-makers". Even when I'm old and wrinkly and the tattoos don't look so good anymore I will still be able to look at my tattoos and be reminded of these important parts of my life.

But I do think that if you want a tattoo you should think long and hard about it...It is the most permanent thing you can possibly do.

Now to answer a couple of questions:
1) I really didn't find that it hurt that much. However, I have a really high pain threshold so I probably am not the best judge...

2) I wasn't scared... I have put three years worth of though into these tattoos. I drew the book to make sure it was exactly what I wanted. I researched shops to make sure I went to an excellent shop that was clean and up to health standards and had artists who's work was amazing. My artist was perfect making sure that I was comfortable and warning me about things that were going to happen (I was worried about if I even could get tattooed due to my disability). My artist worked around my limitations and ensuring that I was happy through out the experience.

3) I'm not just joining the masses because tattoos are 'in' at the moment. I decided to get them as a form of self-expression. These tattoos were just for me - not to fit in, not to be cool, not to be different - but just an outlet for me. It my ultimate form of self-expression

In case you're interested my tattoo shop is: Vision Skin. These guys are pros - they have done some beautiful work on my brother as well. Clean premises, extremely hygienic and absolutely awesome artists. Here's their website if you're interested: http://www.visionskin.com/

I have three more tattoos planned and I can't wait to get them done... I might put up my designs for you to look at

So do you have tattoos? What are your thoughts on the rise of literary tattoos? If you'd like to see some more go to this site: http://www.contrariwise.org/ (Some truly amazing tattoos on this site!)

Until next time bloggers I wait impatiently for my next tattoo... What about you?

1 comment:

  1. Wow! I absolutely loved that tattoo! It would be so apt for me too! I always think it'd be cool to get tattoos...would like to get the 'psychology' sign --- the greek letter 'psi' bcoz I am passionate about my profession and would also love one like yours here! But I'm too chicken! I don't think I could handle the pain....

    ReplyDelete