Pages

July 17, 2012

An Angel In The Studio

So after over 3 months away (thanks to the broken ankle!) last week it was time to head back to class and as one of my friends puts it 'get my learn on'. The first week back was pretty brutal - not in terms of workload. In fact we didn't undertake that much work. But having had 3 months off and dealing with two feet still trying to get back to 'normal' it was still intense...

But yesterday we got to start something that I've been looking forward to since enrolling in the class - studio work!! Working with studio strobes is so fantastic. When I first started taking photography seriously I never thought I'd be interested in studio lighting. I saw myself more as a 'natural light photographer' and don't get me wrong I still love working with natural light. But since I started working as a photographer's assistant for a downright amazing Brisbane photographer I quickly came to realize the beauty and versatility of studio lights. While working for the phenomenally talented Trine Barfod-Jensen I have/am learning so much about all aspects of photography. It's so fantastic to work for someone so talented who is also willing to answer my unending amount of questions.

Anyway we got into the studio with one strobe and were told to photograph each other using different lighting techniques. To make things a bit more interesting we brought in some clothes and different props. The wonderful Miss Rebekah Thomson (seriously click the link she has some amazing photos on there) agreed to be my model and let me put angel wings on her! Thanks for being a fantastic model Bek! I thought I'd share my favourite shot of the set:


I decided to photograph her on the black background (we had access to either black or white) to make the white wings stand out a little more. While I have great photos of her side or (almost) front on I liked the over the shoulder shots the best. I also deliberately positioned the lights so there would be a bit of shadow in the wings to add a bit more texture and definition.

So tell me... What do you think of the photo? I'd love to hear your opinion. And anyone who would like to be a model for me or have your picture taken by me just let me know. I hope to post again soon. But in the meantime I hope you have a wonderful week!
 
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment